Yes – that’s him.
As a fun post I thought I’d ask you all some questions based on Captain Grose’s Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1811) and see how many you get right.
No cheating now!!
1. What would you be doing if you were cocking your organ?
2. “She’s an owl in an ivy bush” – is this a good thing?
3. “The flashman bounced the swell of all his blunt” – Is this something you’d want to do?
4. What would you be doing if you were riding a horse foaled by an acorn?
5. If someone told you that your beau had been seen in his altitudes the night before, would you break off the association?
6. Someone’s just told you that your youngest daughter has sprained her ankle. Would you call a doctor or throw the baggage from the house?
7. Is Arbor Vitae the Latin name for a tree? Or something else?
8. You see a gorgeous man at the ball, and you overhear one rake say to another that the object of your attention is a great backgammon player. Surely that’s a good thing?
9. How many rolls ARE in a baker’s dozen?
10. What would you wear to a Balum Rancum?
11. Wow-wow Sauce – Invented by the Regency or by Terry Pratchett?
12. What’s a beau trap? An eager spinster? or something dirtier?
13. Your husband announces he’s off to Bedfordshire. You don’t have any estates there and it’s dark! Where’s he really going?
14. Where would you dance at Beilby’s Ball?